EDITOR’S NOTE: The following is excerpted from Frederick County Council member Jessica Fitzwater’s most recent newsletter. She regularly publishes an excellent e-newsletter with good information about upcoming council agenda items, events and more. We encourage folks to sign up to receive these via email.
Did you miss the County Executive’s Budget Hearing last night? No worries- there are lots of ways to still make your voice heard! The County Executive has set up a simple survey online where you can share your priorities. Or you can email her at CountyExecutive@FrederickCountyMD.gov.
The County Executive will release her FY18 Budget on April 13th. The Council will then hold public hearings and budget work sessions as we review the proposal. Send us your budget comments to CouncilMembers@FrederickCountyMD.gov.
Important budget dates:
- Tuesday, April 18, 7:00 p.m. Council Public Hearing on FY18 Operating Budget
- Monday, April 24, 7:00 p.m. Council Public Hearing on the BoE portion of the FY18 Budget
- April 26-28, full day Council Budget Work Sessions
- Tuesday, May 2, 4:30 p.m. Council Budget Amendments
A new and improved Bill regarding solar collection systems is being introduced tonight by Council Member Keegan-Ayer. This bill takes into account feedback we received through multiple public hearings and would establish a Commercial Solar Facility Floating Zone, which we feel is the best way to move forward regarding this green energy source on agricultural land. Read more about the Bill here
Tonight the Council will be voting on Bill 17-02 Re-allocation of Recordation Tax Revenues. This Bill will restore recordation tax revenues and bring much needed funding to agricultural preservation and parks and recreation. This is not a tax increase, but simply a re-allocation of the current tax. We have heard overwhelming support for this bill and I look forward to voting in support of this re-allocation.
Tonight’s regularly-scheduled 4:30 p.m. County Council meeting agenda includes:
- Budget Adjustments for Utilities & Solid Waste, Planning & Permitting, and Family Partnership
- Confirmation of County Executive appointments to the Mental Health Management Agency, Roads Board, & Sustainability Commission
- FY18 Operating and Capital Grant Resolution: Transit Services
- Introduction of two bills:
- A Bill regarding Ethics Commission Nomination Process
- A Bill regarding Solar Facilities and Floating Zone
- Third Reader of Bill 16-02 Re-allocation of Recordation Tax Revenues
- Public Hearing on Agricultural Preservation Easement Applications
At 7:00 p.m. we will hold public hearings on Bill 17-03 General Obligation Bonding Authority and Bill 17-04 Farm Distillery and Winery Tasting Rooms.
If you have comments on any of these items or on any other issue, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I look forward to hearing from you!